Last Updated on
Nato has released its latest 2017 Strategic Foresight Analysis Report.
According to General Denis Mercier, NATO Supreme Allied Commander Transformation (SACT) interviewed by Reuters, the report will be used with a SACT “companion report that maps out what NATO should do to respond to these trends in the spring” … “to inform the 2019 NATO political guidance”.
Some of the main points identified for the future are:
- Increased instability
- Increased likelihood of confrontation and war
- Rising challenge to NATO and the West from emerging and resurgent powers (aka Russia and China)
- Asymmetric demographic change
- Rapid urbanization
- Increasingly polarized societies
- Continuous if not rising importance of new and emerging technologies, which offer enormous opportunities but also challenges and vulnerabilities
- The impact of globalization
- Rising importance of climate change and related cross cutting impacts, water security, food security and resource competition
BERLIN (Reuters) – China’s growing military strength and a resurgent Russia will pose growing challenges to the trans-Atlantic alliance in coming years, and NATO’s moves to bolster its capabilities could trigger a new Cold War-style arms race, a NATO report said.