Impacts and Consequences
- Increased likelihood to see a global perception of the global U.S. influence and power lowered;
- Increased likelihood to see a global perception of the regional (Middle East) U.S. influence and power lowered.
Should China step in successfully as peace broker between Israelis and Palestinians
- Increased likelihood to see global perception of a new Chinese regional (Middle East) influence
- Increased likelihood to see global perception of a rising Chinese global influence
- Increased likelihood to see rising tensions between the U.S.
On 6 December 2017, U.S. President Donald Trump declared that the U.S. recognises Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and, as a result will move its embassy there (see sources below), while also reasserting commitment to the peace process and specifying that the U.S. would support a two-state solution, if approved by both the Israelis and the Palestinians. … Continue reading Signal: U.S. President Trump’s Statement on Jerusalem
Impacts and Consequences
If Russia succeeds in gathering major actors in a congress in Sochi, which we estimate as likely (55% to 70%)
- Increased likelihood to see, at the end of the process, a constructive peace settling in Syria
- Increased likelihood to see the birth of a Federal Syria
- Increased likelihood to see the survival of the Kurdish-led Federation of Northern Syria
- Increased likelihood to see a serious lowering of tensions in the Middle East and even some kind of stabilisation
- Increased Russian influence
(Nota: The symbolic board has been moved to the end of the analysis and before the sources/signals)
Facts and analysis
As stated by Russian President Putin, … Continue reading Signals: A Russian-backed Congress in Sochi for Future Peace in Syria?
A new state of play is emerging in the Middle East, which redraws the regional web of influence, following the military victory over the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria and the concurrent and related negotiations for the end of the war in Syria. At the global level, the current jockeying taking place in the Middle East and its result will also have consequences as it impacts perceptions of global players, as well as influence and thus capability. On 16 November, three major diplomatic events centred around Saudi Arabia and Iran’s influence and involving China and Israel took place which impacted this state of play.
Impact on Issues and Uncertainties ➚ ? ➃ Short term – Willingness of Iraq to capitalize further on their military victory against the Kurds, notably capturing Kurdish oilfields (uncertainty) ➘ ? Medium to longer term – capacity of Iraq to govern legitimately over its multi-sectarian multi-ethnic population (critical uncertainty) ➚ ➃ /➄ Iraq strength and international support ➘ ➂ Legitimacy of Iraqi Kurdish political authorities and parties ➘ Prospects for Iraqi Kurds’ independence and even autonomy ➙ ➃ Iran’s influence in Iraq and in the region ➘ ➃ U.S. influence in the region ➘ Middle East American order (Other issues stable as regard to this signal only – a full assessment would need to consider events in Lebanon and Yemen) On 5 November 2017, the ongoing negotiations between … Continue reading Signal: Still no Agreement – Iraqis Forces and Peshmergas